The 23rd Vikos Crossing successfully took place at Vitsa between the 9th to the 16th of August.
The topic of this year’s meeting was a holistic approach to waste management in view of the climate change. On Monday 12th of August, the Land Beyond was pleased to host:
- Giannis Sakiotis, EU officer DG Mare. G. Sakiotis talked about the concept, the implementation and effectiveness of the 5R project. Among other, he referred to the different departments and offices of the European Union in Brussels under the 5R spectrum.
- Konstantinos Maxairas, general manager at Organisation Earth, presented an overview of the climate change and environmental challenges, the topic of waste management, as well as the goals and activities of Organization Earth.
A few words about Organization Earth – It was founded in 2010 and is based in Athens. It promotes environmental and social intelligence through activities such as reforestation, workshops about farming and food production as well as seminars about sustainable living. For more information, http://www.organizationearth.org/en/.
- Maria Vasilakou’s (former Mayor of Vienna) presentation was about the success of environmental policies in the same city.
- Andreas Andreopoulos, ecological activist (https://sustainabledevelopment.un.org/partnership/?p=13684); talked on Reusing everything
- Damianos Giannis, teenage activist towards the environment, climate change and war to plastic;
- Panayota Balopoulou, who introduced Zero Waste Living through organisations such as Mixua Eco Lifestyle Tours (https://www.mixua.be), founded and run by Emilia Cantero DIegeuz in Brussels.
The 7-day activity included rafting in Voidomatis, morning hikes to Missios Bridge, the Monastery of Aghia Paraskevi, Profitis Ilias as well as longer hikes such as the Vikos Gorge Crossing and climbing to Tymphi’s Drakolimni (Dragon Lake) with an overnight stop at Astraka Refuge.